Thursday, October 8, 2009

It Begins...Market that is!


So, we're here after a very uneventful flight with a connection in Philly. We caught up with Evelyn and her gang from The Cotton Cupboard in Bangor at the Philly airport and took the same flight the rest of the way. It's 85 degrees and WINDY! The landing was a bit rocky but I was sucked into a good book and didn't really notice. We checked in to the Holiday Inn Express (about a football field away from the convention center) and then went out to pick up our buyer's guides. This booklet is a listing off all the exhibitors and what they'll be showing. Tonight's job is to read through and make a plan of what we want to see when the show opens. Tomorrow is Schoolhouse - a grown-up version of Step-Up Day from elementary school. We attend mini-sessions lasting anywhere from 15-30 minutes, all day, with 15 to choose from in each time frame. This is when Market Mush Brain begins.

When we were last in Houston (2007) the land directly across from the convention center was a big old construction mess which has been turned into the Discovery Green featuring sculptures, colorful artwork, an entertainment stage, restaurants, a pond and underground parking beneath it all. The pics are some of the items that caught our eye.


After Schoolhouse I'll attend a business class and Marcia will sit in line for Sample Spree, the quilting version of Cabbage Patch Kids meets Macy's $99 Wedding Dress Sale. I have yet to decide if we'll tackle the moda booth or bypass it altogether and see everything else...

Some exhibitors began setting up their booths today but the only shot I could get of the action was as I was going up the escalator. It was an interesting task - here's the photo. I'll try and take the same one tomorrow to show progress.


So - don't forget the rules. Make a comment for each post to be entered to win a market prize, complete rules are on yesterday's post. Our post tomorrow night will be LATE because Sample Spree is from 8-10PM (it's only 6:19PM central time right now and we're already in our pj's here)!

Thanks to all the new followers. I'm flattered that you're interested enough in the goings-on of my shop to follow along!









12 comments:

DonnaCME said...

Sounds like so much fun! Busy, but fun. How's your chocolate supply?!!

jmbr said...

Hey - Glad your trip was safe. I am sure which ever you both pick to go and see will be interesting. Fun. I will stop in at the shop this weekend and sign up for the long arm class. And maybe others that you learn and bring home with you when you get here. Love the shots, As I have never been to TX I hear it is beautiful. Enjoy! C U When you get back...... happy quilting.
Jeanette

Unknown said...

It sounds like so much fun. Bring back some good stuff

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't get trampled in the Sample Spree Stampeed. I know you two will have a great plan figured out!

WoolenSails said...

The market looks dark and lonely right now, but I can imagine what it will be like tomorrow. I have been through Bath, quite a few times. Next time I will have to stop for a visit.

Debbie

Unknown said...

Sure hope the food is better than Pittsburgh! Ask Michael if we will get Wiscasset before Bar Harbor. Take care, maybe next year will be the year as now I know what is going on and I wish I was there:)
mom

Peggy F said...

Have a really good time and bring back lots of inspiration. Peg

Karrots said...

Wish I was there enjoying all the fun! Can't wait to hear what you find at market.

Quilting by Ann said...

Hope you got lots of sleep last night; so much to see--so little time

Nena said...

Hey Ladies, Thanks for taking us on your trip. It's so affordable this way. Looks like there will be lots of goodies. Anxious to see what you bring home. We know it will be wonderful. Happy Quilting and shopping, Nena

Unknown said...

It sounds like great fun. I can hardly wait tos wee what you will choose.

jmbr said...

Well, you said it would be late tonight --- I thought if I signed on after the 11pm news you'd be back in the room and blogging - you must be have such a hard time picking what to blog about. I will check back in in a few hours. Enjoy!